Friday, October 7, 2011

The Power of Positivity

I know we talked about this briefly in class, but I feel like it can never talk about it enough. The "it" I'm referring to in this case is the power of positivity! Looking back on my high school career, I was fortunate enough to have a mom who was very invested in my education (almost too much sometimes), I had a plethora of educational resources available to me, I went to a great school, and I was very self-motivated. I know right now you're probably all thinking "Well la-de-frickin-da," but hear me out. Aside from all those things, I would say the most important thing I had was an inspiring teacher who took pride in my work. I basically thrived off of their positive comments on my papers and assignments. I could feel myself glow when I read their positive (or in my high school mind, ecstatic) marginal comments on quotes I used or pieces of analysis I wrote which I had spent so much time on. It felt great that someone who I looked up to not only recognized my hard work, but praised it.

Now I know that there is also debate on the negativity of positivity: students reliance on teacher comments leads them to write for the teacher, it makes their self-worth hinge on praise, etc. I personally think that is poppycock. Maybe the critics of positivity are right, and there was some blossoming Henry James in class who the world will never know because he was forced to reshape his writer for teacher praise, maybe there was a future Emily Dickinson who never tried something new because she became stuck in the rut of writing that she knew would receive positive marginal comments. Maybe I just happened to write the way my teacher liked, but I don't think so.

Think about what a few positive comments for a struggling student. Lately I've been grading piles of what my co-op calls bookmarks for her freshman English class. Some kids do great, so kids not so great (who would've thought, variety in a classroom). Think about how disheartening it is for a kid in that class who tries hard to improve, but keeps getting back bookmarks covered in "-1"s and "5/9"s. I know if I was that kid, after a while I might get tired of trying, and that's the last thing we as future teachers want our kids to feel.

Now imagine that same kid who, although they might not be getting the grade they want, gets positive comments about their good sentences, use of new vocabulary, or hints on ways to improve their analysis. Yea getting a bad grade still stinks, but at least the student now knows that the teacher is invested in their improvement, and, more importantly, notices their strengths I saw on Chandra's blog this week, and it's also come up in other's blogs, a discussion on motivation. I think one way to keep students motivated, especially ones who we might see as withdrawn, is to keep giving them praise. And not just any praise, but explanatory praise! Not just "Good Job Sara!," but "Sara, good job on your attention to characters! I like how you explain them in such detail!" Now a student know that they've done something praiseworthy, and can put a name to that skill which you've recognized as a strength hat they possess. Sometimes kids even use rhetorical techniques that they're not aware of such as creating a metaphor or playing with syntax. Tell them they're doing that! And the weird thing about praising students, is that in the end it makes you feel pretty great about being a teacher too :-)

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Brittany!
    I believe that motivation plays an important role on how our students perform in class activities, too. It is rather odd to see how positivity may also have a negative side. But, as you mention, this only happens when teachers, particularly teachers of writing, use constant, meaningless praise language when grading their students' pieces. A simple "Good job!" is not enough. I agree with you when you explain that students should know exactly what they have done well, or not that well as you would have expected. Being positive always brings great results. :-)
    -Luis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something it took me a LONG time to learn when it came to teaching baton twirling. Because I worked so hard for so long at my craft, in the past 5 or so years it has really come easily to me...and as a young teacher, I found myself getting easily frustrated by kids that struggled with simple tricks. I think that's pretty common - it's easy to get annoyed when other people don't understand what you're trying to say, especially if you feel like you're explaining it in a simple manner. But I totally agree with you - when I started applying positivity to my constructive criticism my students started to respond a lot better. I didn't just give corrections anymore, I started praising what they did correctly AND THEN giving the correction. I wouldn't say I've perfected this by any means - there are still students who, when they don't get it right immediately, find themselves digging bigger and bigger holes for themselves. But those few who do respond well give me hope for the perfectionists and the downtrodden! Positivity in a classroom (and, getting philosophical for a moment, in life in general) can go an EXTREMELY long way!

    Out of curiosity, have you started marking those bookmarks with some positive comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brittany,
    I appreciated your ode to affirmation. Many kids go through their entire educational lives thinking that those who are in authority above them have nothing but condemnation to bring against their work. It's no wonder that they don't want to be in school - who would if all that it meant was getting criticized and pounded on what you didn't get right. The only other negative of positivity that I sometimes fear that it can turn into an occasion for students to become arrogant. I myself struggle with this - I've been so puffed up with positive comments all of my life that I find it difficult to take criticism at times. So while giving positive comments is important, those too must not be given in excess.
    kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brittany,
    I was also the kind of student who lived for compliments from my teachers, but I still remember the hollowness that accompanied an empty compliment like 'Good work." So flat, so unpersonal. I regret my own comments on those tests we graded together last week because many of them were just as empty. Question: Are you trying to incorporate these more complex comments on all papers you grade or just some?
    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany,
    I really agree with this post! I think positivity is so important in the classroom. I know for myself that all throughout my school career the things I remember helping me the most were the positive comments from my teachers. I look back on negative feedback and remember how discouraged I felt. Of course there are situations where you need to give constructive feedback, but when a student deserves a pat on the back, it's important to give it to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you that positivity in the classroom is essential. Without some positive reinforcement from my teachers, I would have hated participating in class and writing to my full potential; if my hard work didn't pay off with a "good job" or some sort of praise, was it even worth it?

    ReplyDelete